Monday, August 31, 2009

Sunday sermon review - In the Name of Jesus

Yesterday’s sermon was from Colossians 3:17 and completed that series on putting on the Character of Christ. The thought of doing EVERYTHING in the name of Jesus is initially quite intimidating. Everything? I don’t think I can do even a few things in his name.


And then that’s when it hit me.


The whole point of God’s command to do EVERYTHING in the name of Jesus is to show us that in ourselves we can’t do ANYTHING in the name of Jesus. The call to do everything in the name of JESUS is to remind us that HE was righteous and we are not.


The only way I can do anything that is worthy of God is because of the obedient life, death and resurrection of Jesus, the only begotten Son of God. His death on the cross paid for my sins but it also secured the righteousness of Christ for me when I placed my faith in Him.


Now God expects me to live a holy life. But it is not my holiness… it is Christ’s. The command to do everything in the name of Jesus is simply a reminder that it is not my righteousness that gained my access to God, it is Christ’s righteousness that brought me to God. Therefore, I need to display his righteousness in my life for his glory. The light that I shine into the world (Matthew 5:14-16) calling sinners to repent and turn to Christ is not MY light. It is the Light who came into the world to expose our sins for what they are and to redeem lost sinners into his family.


Then it makes sense that EVERYTHING I do should bear the Name, the name of LORD Jesus, the Christ, the Son of the Living God. It is his character that should shine through my actions. He should get the glory.


Not it doesn’t feel so burdensome. The call to do EVERYTHING in the name of Jesus is really a call to FAITH, to trust and depend on Christ for everything… even the glorification of his own Name.


Take heart, Dear Christian! If God in his rich and lavish grace has saved you from his own wrath, then He has given you his greatest treasure… his own Son. And Jesus will never leave us or forsake us. No, He will abide with us even when we are faithless. And He has given us the grace to do everything in his Name, for He has given us Himself.


Look to Jesus today! Rest in his grace and strength and let the Light sine forth from your light for your good and his glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment