Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Is your theology real?

I have been reading several books as I prepare for my next sermon series this fall. I came across this quote that is really challenging me:

Our responses to the circumstances and crises of everyday life make our theology real.

- Ted and Margy Tripp, Instructing a Child’s Heart

His point was that we parents need to instruct our children using the teachable moments that everyday life provides. And our theology becomes “real” when we actually live out what we say we believe.


When your son pours his milk all over your book, do you respond with grace and forgiveness?


When your spouse is short with you, do you respond with kindness and gentleness?


When someone at church starts to gossip, do you call them to repent and speak only that which edifies the hearer?


Man, this is convicting!


I pray we will all have a “real” theology that is truly God-honoring and Christlike. Please pray for me to display Christ to my family and my church. I will pray for you as well...

2 comments:

  1. It is so true... Your child watches how you live and what you say... and they imitate that. I have noticed that in how Isaiah says certain things or statements... It just makes me realize how my life is on display and it can either reflect Christ or the world. Thanks for the reminder and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly agree with what you posted. I am an older Christian who is very perplexed with the decay in morals in America---violence, homosexuality, rape, murder, profanities, lewdness, etc. Sometimes I feel like our generation has spent too much time on unimportant materialistic things and our children and grandchildren now have to pay for it. Teaching and living the Bible are two of the most important things we can do. "If My people, which are called by My name, will humble themselves....."

    ReplyDelete