Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Doctrine of the Day: Original Sin

The other day I asked my son, Asher, “Where will you go when you die?” He said, “Nashville.” It is hard to know what to make of that answer. Does he know that we don’t live in Nashville anymore? Does he think Nashville is Heaven or Hell? Does he even know what it means to die? He’s only 2.5 years old, so I will cut him some slack.


This made me think of a bigger question though, “What happens to infants when they die?”


This is a difficult question with huge implications for our everyday lives. My immediate response is “All infants go to heaven when they die.” Even after much reflection and serious thought, my answer is the same. I believe in a God who is gracious and merciful. I believe that in his great grace and mercy there is room for infants who die to spend eternity with Him.


But as I said, this is difficult question for two reasons.


One, the Bible does not give a clear, direct answer to this question. Two, there is the issue of original sin.


The Bible makes it clear that there is one Way to God the Father: through Jesus Christ the Son (John 14:6). That Way is the way of faith and repentance. We believe on Christ in order to be saved. This is how God’s grace in salvation is manifested in us.


So if Jesus is the only way to the Father, and if that way requires faith, what about infants who die without the ability or opportunity to express that faith? The Bible does not say much. There are passages that mention God knows us before we were conceived in the womb (Jeremiah 1:5) and examples of his Spirit upon babies in the womb (Luke 1:15), but none that say definitively that when those infant lives end they are immediately swept up into heaven.


Now the prevailing thought is that these babies have not yet sinned and therefore they are innocent in God’s eyes. That means He will automatically welcome them into eternity with Him.


The problem with that thinking is that we are born as sinners. This is the doctrine of original sin. We are born in sin (Psalm 51:5). We are by nature children of wrath (Ephesians 2:3). Because of Adam we are born guilty of his first sin (Romans 5:12-21). The very fact that infants do die is evidence of this effect of sin on their lives. Adam’s sin and the penalty of death is inherited in all his descendants. This gives us what we call the sin nature. This means that every person WILL sin as soon as he understands right from wrong. There is not a single person who can make it through life without sinning. Such is Adam’s curse.


Original sin is a big problem. This means that even infants are not innocent. No, they have not consciously committed any sin, but they are Adam’s offspring and have inherited his guilt. The question we then need to ask is “On what basis can God allow them into heaven?”


I have heard and read different responses to this question, and none of them are completely satisfactory to me. John MacArthur has written a book on this topic that many find helpful, Safe in the Arms of God. He has also delivered a couple of sermons that are very detailed (http://www.gty.org/AudioPlayer/Sermons/80-242). John Piper has a more succinct answer on his website (http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Articles/ByDate/2006/1622_What_happens_to_infants_who_die/).


I don’t like coming to firm conclusions without the help of solid biblical support, so it is difficult for me to say without question that all infants who die go to heaven.


However, even with the issue of original sin and the problem it poses, I still believe that the primary attribute of his being that God chooses to magnify above all others is his mercy (Romans 15:8-9). Therefore, I believe that God in his mercy, somehow in a way unknown to us, overcomes the problem of original sin in infants who die and graciously welcomes them into his presence.

6 comments:

  1. Where are y'all living now? Hope Mer is feeling better and Asher is so cute!!! =)

    I dont know but having lost a child I really have to go with David when he says that the child will not return to be with him but he would oneday be with his child.

    2 Samuel 12:22-23
    22 He answered, "While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept. I thought, 'Who knows? The LORD may be gracious to me and let the child live.' 23 But now that he is dead, why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me."

    Then this verse gets me:
    Matthew 18:10"See that you do not look down on one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.

    Matthew 19:13-15
    13Then little children were brought to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked those who brought them.
    14Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." 15When he had placed his hands on them, he went on from there.

    Let me know what you think of these verses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok i just saw where you were in dora oops

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny,

    We are all doing really well. Asher is growing like a weed and Meredith is recovering slowly from her broken leg.

    I think you can make a very good case from those verses for the position that all infants who die go to be with the LORD, but you cannot make a decisively clear case. The fact is that there is just not a definitive statement to that effect.

    I understand that losing a child is difficult. When Meredith and I lost our child to miscarriage earlier this year, we were forced to ask these same questions of our own faith. And like I mentioned earlier, I do believe that "Little Jethro" as we named him, is with God now. But I believe that not from the clear teaching of the word. Rather, it is my belief in a good and gracious God who desires to magnify his mercy above all else.

    Any comfort we receive in the face of this type of tragedy has to come in our faith in a big God who works all things according to the counsel of his will and for our good. So, if we were to learn that "Little Jethro" is not in Heaven, then I will still praise the LORD. I cannot allow my peace and hope to be based on any doctrine of extrapolation. It must rest in Christ Himself who is my Savior and God.

    So, I will continue to believe that God saves infants who die. More importantly though, I will counsel grieving parents to trust in the goodness and sovereignty of the LORD for your hope, more than you hope that your child is in heaven.

    Grace and peace,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you. I had no idea that you guys had a miscarriage. I am so sorry! i love "little Jethro". That is precious.
    I just taught on something like you are saying this weekend.
    Hebrews 11:6
    6And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

    It is our faith (hope, reliance) in His person and He finds pleasure in our faith as we seek Him out, scrutinize, search for as for a lost treasure, crave, seek for our own...Him in all things. Yet I love that He is no less God or no more God because of anything that we have to offer. I love that He needs nothing from us and that there is nothing that we can add to enrich Him in any way. Yet He set His affections on us. Isaiah 40:15-18

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh and earlier I guess I mean why does Jesus say that their angels?? Implying that they have angels assigned (if I am taking it literally) that look into the face of the Father. Then, David...he would one day return to be with his child in heaven seeing as how the NT points to the fact that he was a man after Gods own heart. Also, the analogy of how we must all have child like faith...
    I also see how psalm 139 clearly says we are sinful from birth. no one has to teach a child to lie and etc. We definitely have a moral code written on our hearts from the beginning. I was just meaning that to me those verses point towards heaven.
    I guess it is like arguing predestination/election. We all can lean one way but the bible speaks of the elect as well as the whosoever believeth...so you can't really reconcile one way or the other but know that God in no way lies or contradicts Himself. It all comes back to the doxology in Romans 11. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry to hear of your loss! I have heard a lot of discussion on this & I agree with you - we can not say for sure but I am counting on God's mercy!

    ReplyDelete