Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My favorite psalm

I am working in Starbucks this morning. I know it sounds strange but I sometimes work better when there is a lot of ambient noise. Even as I am reading my Bible, I can concentrate a little better. Anyway, Starbucks got me thinking about my favorite verse in the Bible. I don't know why... maybe it's the coffee!


For the longest time Psalm 42-43 was my favorite psalm. Yes, I know they are two in our Bibles, but they are one in the Hebrew scriptures. Psalm 43:3 has been my favorite verse for a long time, actually since I became a Christian. 


I repented of my sins and believed on Christ on January 26, 1992. I was 18 years old. God used Psalm 43:3 to make Himself known to me, to teach me how he breathed new life into my heart and enabled me to respond to the gospel in faith. Here it is:

Send out your light and your truth;
   let them lead me;
let them bring me to your holy hill
   and to your dwelling!

From the moment of my conversion I was aware of God’s grace in calling me out of my sin and death and giving me new life. He showed me that it was the Word that led me and delivered me to Him. This is truly amazing grace! His light and truth brought me to Him. 


The rest of this psalm is equally powerful in it’s imagery: a deer panting for water, my soul crying out to God in my despair. At my conversion I totally related to that.  I was in despair without Christ. I was suicidal. I would have rather died than live one more moment without Him. Before my conversion I did not realize what I was longing for, but on that Sunday morning when the preacher read Matthew 13:24-30 and described those tares that were going to be cast into the fire, God’s light and truth reveled that it was CHRIST that I longed for and panted for. And He saved me…


So, Psalm 42-43 has been very dear to me for a long time. 


But things change over time. Now my favorite is Psalm 33


I am teaching the psalms on Wednesday nights this summer, and my preparation for this series has reacquainted me with Psalm 33. The Spirit sets the agenda for our sanctification and maturity in Christ and He prepared a lesson for me in reading this psalm like I was seeing it for the first time. It is amazing!


I will not give you all the details of what He has shown me here, but I think I will take the rest of the summer and plumb the depths of this oasis. It is so theologically rich and diverse. It teaches us about worship, his word, his righteousness, creation, his omnipotence, his glory, our fear of Him, the power of his words, his sovereignty, his blessings, and on and on… 


I leave you with this thought for today from verse 1: 

Shout for joy in the LORD, O you righteous!

    Praise befits the upright.

The righteous and upright SHOUT for joy in the LORD! Is your joy in God so intense that the only way to express it is to shout? Lest you think that you are too dignified for shouting, don’t forget that this type of praise “befits the upright.” In other words it is fitting and right for the upright to praise God this way. 


Hmmm...

4 comments:

  1. You enjoy your computer way too much!! (the picture of you in Starbucks) We could use the reminder, or at least I could of how important it is to find joy in the Lord and the life he has given us! AND that we not be afraid to show him! I struggle too much with worrying about how it looks to others instead of how it looks to HIM. Hope you are having a good week-I know you miss your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Chris! I am currently working my way through the Psalms... so much good stuff - the rejoicing, the trusting, the seeking, the worship, the truth, wisdom & so much more nuggets to dig out.
    We miss you guys! Give your fam a hug from us.
    A

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first time I heard you preach on Psalm 42, you were still at Beeson, I knew God was going to do something glorious through you. I praise God that you have been obedient to His calling. Thank you so much for sharing through this Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb - Yes, I love Lucy (my computer) a little bit! I share you concern about worrying what people think of how I look in worship. I think of David when he danced before the LORD when the ark returned to Jerusalem. Michal despised him and God closed her womb. I don't want God to be dishonored by my worship OR lack of worship!

    April - Thanks for the encouragement! We were just think about you and Randy and Isaiah the other day. We can't wait to see you again!

    Mom - You have always been my best supporter! Thank you for always believing in me.

    ReplyDelete