Thursday, June 18, 2009

Book Report - Just Do Something

I have just finished reading Just Do Something: A Liberating Approach to Finding God’s Will. I would love to give you a full review today, but I have been a little busy with VBS this week and trying to get most of my sermon work done for next week since I will be in Louisville for the SBC Annual Meeting most of next week. 


I promise I will get to it next week… At least I want to promise that. I may still be a little under the gun next week too, but I will definitely have some time to formulate at least a few coherent thoughts about it. 


Let me just whet your appetite a little with a question: How do you go about “finding God’s will for your life?” If you have to make a major decision that is not a moral decision, what process do you typically follow in order to know what to do? If you have a new job opportunity, or a house to buy, or are trying to decide who to marry, what do you do?


I think most of us would say that we pray about it. That’s good!


But what exactly are you expecting from God in return? How do you expect to discern the answer?


This is where many of us would probably stray into non-biblical responses. 


Me? I have usually relied on some kind of “peaceful, easy feeling” to arise over one particular answer before I will act. You know, I keep praying and fretting until I finally feel all warm and fuzzy about one choice. This is the right house! This is the perfect job! This is the right spouse for me! 


Then I pounce… scared the whole way that I may still be missing God’s perfect will. 


Well, if you are like me, then this book is going to rock your “will-seeking” world. I learned that I am doing it all wrong when I seek God’s will this way. The premise of this book is that it is unbiblical to seek God's will in a way that makes Him seem like a magic 8-ball. 


I will take time next week to flesh this out a little more. In the meantime, if you love challenges and think that you may disagree with me on this, search the entire Bible and see if you can find just ONE verse that says God has some secret will of direction (for non-moral decisions like picking a job) He expects to figure out BEFORE we are to act. 


Good hunting : )

1 comment: