Friday, May 29, 2009

What's going on...

Here are a few things going on around the internets...

  • Discussion boards
If you are a veteran of reading blogs and commenting, then you really need to read this opinion piece. It is funny but way too true.

  • An Old Hymn
I love old hymns. I mean REALLY old hymns. Here are the words for a hymn by Charles Wesley that I absolutely love!! 

  • The Power of Imputation
One of my mentors, Ray Ortlund, pastor of a church plant in Nashville, posted this great look at the implications of imputation (the fact that God declares us righteous because of Christ's work on the cross). Here is his conclusion...
With our appropriate emphasis today on accountability among us men, let's not forget to hold each other accountable to this, the highest exercise of the gospel in our lives: to be so happy in the righteousness of Jesus Christ that we defy the devil and all his destroying accusations and throw them back into his face to shame him even as we triumph by faith in Christ, to his honor and glory as the only Savior of sinners.

  • Persecution is coming to America
Thanks to Emily Rainer from my church for alerting me to this story out of California. A local pastor is facing a tough battle with the local government because he hosts a Bible study in his house!!! It is coming...

3 comments:

  1. Check out Paul Ramey's new album "Alright." It contains a beautiful rendition of this beloved hymn. The entire album is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My comment didn't go through from my last response. I like your post on accountability. "to be so happy in the righteousness of Jesus Christ". Matt and I have recently had a similiar conversation about this. We read an article recently that challenged us. I think what you wrote is of total priority..But another is that a man actually find that making his family "his adventure" rather then their hobbies outside the home as fulfilling. A little opposite than the book "wild at heart"... An adventurous life that is exciting can be found right within his family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill,

    Thanks for the heads up! It is good to hear from you. I hope all is well in Seattle. We miss you and your family.

    DeDe,

    I agree with you on Eldredge. I am not a big fan of his books. I think he misses the most important parts of manhood. And you are right about the adventure of family. It keeps me plenty busy.

    ReplyDelete