Thursday, July 16, 2009

Is the Gospel happening?

I am sorry that I have not posted in a while. Of course, I doubt there are many whose lives have been seriously disrupted by my absence in cyber-space : )


Wy wife, Meredith, had a nasty fall last week and subsequent surgery to repair her shattered knee cap. She is now recovering… slowly and painfully. Taking care of her was my primary concern and blogging was the first item on my list to be jettisoned.


Now that we have her settled in for her recovery, I have a little more time.


I will get back to my regular schedule next week, but in the meantime I came across an excellent question today that I wanted to pose to you. I don’t really expect any written responses (although they are welcome), but I do hope you will sincerely think on this issue this day…


Is the gospel happening in your life?


My friend Ray Ortlund asked this in response to a question he received about how well we Christians are doing in this day and time protecting the truth of the gospel. Since I just finished a series of posts on defining the gospel for the sake of evangelism, I was interested to hear his thoughts.


Here is this question in context…

"Is the gospel subscribed to?" is an important question. "Is the gospel happening?" is a more searching question.

I hope and pray that I do not spend more time talking about the definition of the gospel than I do in actually living the gospel in my life. That includes sharing the gospel with the lost, but also, just as importantly, letting the gospel “happen” in the church. It is a “searching question.”


So, join me in praying that the gospel will “happen” in our lives today.

1 comment:

  1. Chris I hadn't heard about Meredith!! I am so sorry to hear that... I will say a prayer for the 3 of you! Thanks for the provoking thoughts...

    ReplyDelete