Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Verses that scare me


I am scared of deep water. I will not get in lake water or the ocean if I can’t see what is beneath me. So, I do not go water skiing or jump out of the boat for any reason in deep water.


Meredith always asked me what I am afraid of. The answer is simple: You never know what is lurking in the dark water that wants to eat you. Sharks, eels, snakes, jelly fish, sting rays, snapping turtles, goldfish. It doesn’t matter what they are… if I can’t see them then I don’t want to swim with them.


Oh, yes, I know my fear is irrational, but I don’t care. Have you seen Shark Week? Getting more biblical, have you read the book of Jonah??? How do you know the next time you get in the water that God doesn’t have some big fish ready to swallow you?


Anyway, I mention all of this because I have some irrational fears of God’s word also. There are some verses that scare me to death. Take Hebrews 13:7 for example…

Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith.

This verse is calling for the people of the church to follow the life example of their pastors. In case you didn’t know, I am a pastor. So, this verse scares me. My church is commanded by God to consider the outcome of my way of life… Look at Chris’ life and imitate that faith. Doesn’t that sound scary to you???


One of my professors in seminary told us that after 5 years a church becomes like its pastor. In other words all the preaching and teaching and directing a pastor does will only influence a church to the degree that his life lives out what he preaches.


Yeah, that’s scary.


And consider Hebrews 13:17

Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you.

I am going to have to give an account for how I lead my church.


Combine Hebrews 13:7 with verse 17 and now I am petrified. What a standard I must live up to!


So, what am I to do with these irrational fears?


I run to Jesus. He is my hope and salvation. It is his righteousness that has already fulfilled all the commands I am given by the Father. I trust in Him not only to take away my sinful fear, but also to grant me the grace to obey these commands.


God gives us incredibly difficult commands to obey. Commands we can never obey in our selves. We must run to Jesus and place our faith in Him for all things.


In a way I thank God for my irrational fears, whether it is fear of deep water or fear of failure as a pastor. Those fears remind me that I cannot do ANYTHING apart from Jesus Christ. He is the life-giving Vine. He is the source of all grace and mercy for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment