Tuesday, September 8, 2009

This is how to celebrate your birthday!

I am not a big fan of celebrating my birthday. It’s not because I dread getting older. As a young pastor, getting older is actually something I look forward to! You would think that since I actually look forward to getting older that I would enjoy celebrating my birthday.


But there is just something about the self-exalting nature of the way so many people celebrate their birthdays that just turns me off to them. So many times a birthday celebration is really a celebration of “me.” I need presents. I need cards. I need a party. I need to be the center of attention.


This is certainly not to say that everyone is self-centered in celebrating their birthday! But it is hard to find people who celebrate their birthdays in a God-centered way.


Well, I have finally found someone who is celebrating his 60th birthday in a truly God-exalting way.


Read this from one of my mentors, Ray Ortlund. I hope that I can start to celebrate my birthdays with this perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment