Monday, August 29, 2016

Go to God with Grunts not Growls

Good morning!

I can't think of many memories that make me happier than seeing my 1 year old daughter reaching up to me begging me to pick her up. 

I loved coming home after work and rounding the corner from the kitchen to the living room and pausing. I would stand there with a smile just waiting for her to notice. Then Meredith says something sweet, like, "Piper... someone's here to see you" in that sing-song mommy voice. 

Then Pipey figures it out and turns. I love that moment of dawning recognition. At first, she's wondering who's in the house, then a moment later that snaggletooth baby smile appears and she races toward me; head down, crawling as fast as she can. She gets to me and awkwardly looks up trying to see my face without tipping over. Then there is that unmistakable little grunt. The "please pick me up because I miss you" grunt. 

Of course, I pick her up. Like I said, there are not many things that make me happier than to see my little girl calling to her daddy.

I can't help but think of God when I think on that story. O how He longs for his children to beg to be picked up by Him! When He appears, we should go to him. Head down, crawling as fast as we can to be with Him. The really good news is that even as we draw near to Him, He draws near to us as well. But when we get there we must make sure we "grunt" the right way to Him.

You see, as happy as I am to hear Piper grunt to me to be picked up, there are times when I do not honor her request. Like most children there are times that she comes to me not because she wants me, but because she wants something from me. I know this because her little grunt becomes a growl. And history has shown that when I pick her up those times, she just wants me to take her somewhere she can get into trouble. 

This happens with us and God as well. Did you know that there are times when it is better NOT to pray? 

If one turns away his ear from hearing the law,
   even his prayer is an abomination.
                                - Proverbs 28:9

We should always pray with God's word in our minds and hearts.

Also, James 4:3 is even more explicit: "You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions."

Nothing makes God happier than for His children to come to Him... FOR Him. God is dishonored when our little grunts become a selfish growl.

I pray that today you will go to Jesus... FOR Jesus. Find your heart satisfied in the fellowship He offers. Be strengthened by His grace, and forge ahead in your day to make His glorious love and forgiveness known.


Blessings!
Pastor Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment