Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Praying our Resolutions

Jonathan Edwards was a great pastor and theologian, and one of the things he is best known for are his resolutions that he lived by. They were not necessarily new year’s resolutions. They were written by him when the Lord would convict Him.


Trevin Wax has compiled the first 21 of Edwards’ resolutions into the following prayer, which is a great one for any of us to pray…



Lord God Almighty,
I understand that I am unable to do anything without your help,
so I ask you to enable me by your grace to fulfill your will.

Give me grace to do whatever brings most glory and honor to you,
pleasure and profit to me,
and life and love to others.

Help me to number my days,
spending my time wisely,
living my life with all my might while I still have breath.

Humble me in the knowledge that I am chief of sinners;
when I hear of the sins of others,
help me to not look upon them with pride,
but to look upon myself with shame,
confessing my own sins to you.

When I go through difficulties and trials,
remind me of the pains of hell
from which you have already delivered me.

Place people in my path who need my help,
and give me a compassionate and generous spirit.

Fill my heart with such love
that I would never do anything out of a spirit of revenge,
nor lose my temper with those around me.
Hold my tongue when I am tempted to speak evil of others.

Thank you for the gospel and for the hope of glory.
Help me to live in light of these truths every day of my life,
so that when the time of my death arrives,
I will rest assuredly in you,
and you will be most glorified in me.

In Christ’s name…


2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your blog. It is insightful, inspirational, and intellectual. Please continue in bringing this spiritual food to the table. I'm always hungry for more of Him and His word.
    Thanks,
    Andy F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Pastor Chris,
    This is Emily from TLH. Pat and I have, by God's grace, the Destin beach condo your family visited last year ... I loved the account your dad (I think) left in our guest book. We just about packed up the little green frog pillow to send your son as a surprise but figured it would be just as special, maybe more, if it's simply there where he left it when yawl visit again :0) Anyway, I'm cleaning house and doing some early spring cleaning of our "in box" also. Upon rereading our corespondance from your beach trip it lead me once again to your churches blog. The resolution prayer brought tears. And I got all excited about this article b/c when our daughter, Amber and her husband, Nick came home briefly for Xmas from SWBT Seminary she had just shared this history with me. Anyway, the Bible says don't quinch the prodding of the Spirit so I took the time to let you know - a life was touched by your blog this very moment - mine :0)
    Blessings for the new year and always!
    fondly,
    Pat and Emily Brown
    DestinRentals@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete